I grew up with Quaker Oatmeal, my grandmother would always make me a bowl when I was visiting, my mother never seemed to do it quite the same, though. I guess it was a grandmother thing. Now, we always have some in the house, and we use it for lots of different things.
I'm not naturally a big breakfast eater, so I've been making an effort to eat better and have been on an oatmeal kick for several months now, I even went to visit the good folks from Quaker Talk at BlogHer last summer since we had been chatting on Twitter about my oatmeal issue for several months.
Now, Quaker Oats is sponsoring CrEATe Your Day, a fun site where you can plan a great day and create a virtual bowl of oatmeal to help make the most of your day. You can send your "Oatmail" to yourself or to a friend.
For every Oatmail and bowl of oatmeal created on this site Quaker will donate $1.00 to Share Our Strength, dedicated to ending childhood hunger, up to $25,000.
When I heard about Quaker Oats CrEATe Your Day, I thought my oatmeal wasn't exciting enough to enter since I usually eat it plain, with a little brown sugar (I had been putting butter in it as well until I realized I was essentially eating oatmeal cookie dough every morning).
So, in honor of CrEATe Your Day, I have been branching out and trying some new things on my oatmeal, one of my favorites has become Quaker Oatmeal topped with plain yogurt, trail mix and fruit:
It's really good, and bonus (!) if your trail mix happens to have some chocolate covered pieces in it.
I'm giving away two (2) Quaker Oats starter kits with boxes of Quaker Instant Oatmeal and a lovely place setting to help you CrEATe Your Day.
1. Go over to CrEATe Your Day and help Share Our Strength by making your own oatmeal creation for yourself, or send it as a greeting to someone.
2. Leave a comment here letting me know how you topped your virtual oatmeal. Don't forget to leave a valid e-mail address.
3. For an extra entry, Tweet about this contest and leave a separate comment linking to your tweet.
4. 2 winners will be picked randomly from the comments.
5. Winners have 24 hours to get back to me, otherwise another winner will be drawn.
6. Hurry! Contest ends Monday, March 1, 2010 at 10pm CST.
Disclosure: I was compensated for writing this post to participate in the Quaker Oatmeal Create Your Day program. I was also provided a Create Your Day starter kit as described above and two other kits to give away.
Quaker did not tell me what to create or tell me to use any specific ingredients. I really do eat the oatmeal and I really did top it with stuff I found in the pantry. But, more importantly, this promotion is for a great cause.